Status: unpaid internship, flexible hours and location
About International Bird Rescue
Bird Rescue’s Mission: To mitigate the human impact on sea and water birds. This is achieved through emergency response and planning, wildlife rehabilitation, research and education.
Founded in 1971, International Bird Rescue is an experienced not-for-profit organization dedicated to mitigating the human impact on sea and water birds, worldwide. We do this through emergency response and planning, wildlife rehabilitation, research, and education. Whether our patients are oiled during a spill (e.g., Deepwater Horizon in 2010), orphaned by human encroachment on habitat, injured from fishing line, or struck by a car, we’re here to help! Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of oiled, sick, injured, and orphaned sea and water birds, supported by a corps of impassioned volunteers. We manage two year-round aquatic bird rehab centers in California (near LA and SF Bay), as well as a wildlife response center in Alaska.
The Social Media Intern will be responsible for assisting our Communications and Marketing efforts through key social media networks: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram. The intern will research, plan and execute strategy with the goal of building community awareness and engagement around Bird Rescue’s brand, mission, and services. This is a great opportunity for students and recent graduates interested in gaining marketable skills, while gaining industry exposure.
As a Bird Rescue intern, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a diverse, passionate team with deep experience and knowledge of sea and water birds. Our work environment is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and fun, including occasional bird releases, birdwalks, potlucks and team events.
- Build community interest and momentum through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and other social media channels by posting updates, engaging conversations and discussions, and increasing the number of followers
- Monitor, track and share insights into community audiences and online conversations
- Participate in building compelling social media campaigns to actively engage targeted communities
- Draft content for online communications including newsletters and blog posts
- Research the social media landscape for successful approaches to social media
- Explore new online and social media tools and implement best practices
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest)
- Experience with SEO including basic understanding of Google Analytics a plus
- Computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Commitment to using and updating Raiser’s Edge, our Relationship Database
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Team player, but also has the ability to work independently
- Graphic design skills a plus
- Gain experience at a unique environmental not-for-profit that has a global impact
- Gain entry, exposure, and experience in the nonprofit industry
- Increase your understanding of and alignment with global and regional wildlife issues
- Collaborate with a positive and innovative team
- Network with other nonprofit professionals and volunteers in an open office environment
- Career mentoring with JD Bergeron, Executive Director of International Bird Rescue and Founder of Chooda and Bike Zambia
- For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
Minimum 15-20 hours per week required for the duration of the internship, at least a minimum of 3 to 4 months. Ideal candidates are available to work out of our Fairfield office 2-3 days/week (Monday through Friday).
SF Bay Wildlife Center, 4369 Cordelia Road, Fairfield, CA 94534
International Bird Rescue has three permanent locations, but also works around the world during times of oil spills. Our headquarters and San Francisco Bay Wildlife Center are located in Fairfield. Our Los Angeles Wildlife Center is located in San Pedro, CA, and our Alaska Wildlife Response Center is located in Anchorage, AK.
Executive Director JD Bergeron brings a birder’s passion, a childlike delight in Nature, and a deep commitment to solving the world’s challenges in unconventional ways. He has 20+ years of experience in not-for-profit leadership, international development, and organizational change. JD is the Co-Founder and Board President of Chooda, which puts on Bike Zambia, a weeklong bicycle ride that raises funds and awareness for HIV/AIDS prevention and economic empowerment for girls and women in Zambia. He is a graduate of Washington University in Saint Louis.
Email your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (two pages max) with “Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please, but please do not hesitate to contact us by email with further questions!
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.
For more information, please visit: