Job: Business Development & Partnerships Manager
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Flexible (San Francisco Bay Area/Greater Los Angeles/Anchorage)
About International Bird Rescue – www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971, after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis.
- Maximize your impact and balance your life with a flexible full-time work schedule.
- Be part of a diverse and fun team of people who care about birds, bridging the world of nonprofit and corporate cultures.
- Leverage your business skills in sales and research to protect the natural world.
- Steward a proven team of wildlife experts with 50 years of successful crisis management and an impressive client list to co-create new initiatives and projects at the innovative intersection of commercial and environmental interests.
- Own the earned income client experience soup to nuts; from budget to marketing, relationship-building, and revenue growth to fuel important clinical work.
- Feel good about your contribution to the natural world.
About the Position
Bird Rescue is seeking an experienced business development professional for a well-established and evolving nonprofit in the animal welfare/environmental sector. S/he will report to and work in partnership with the Executive Director, and also collaborate with the Business Development Task Force of the Board of Directors to drive earned income and increase revenue, identify and develop new business opportunities and partnerships, and build and expand the presence of the organization and its brand. S/he will create and execute an annual strategy to increase billable services, contracts, retainers, and other partnerships.
The successful candidate will be a critical thinker, a collaborative self-starter, a focused team player, committed to serving as a key proponent of our mission, and interacting with the team, clients, and partners with warmth and integrity. S/he will have the opportunity to build the team further to meet the long-term strategy if revenue targets are met.
- Grow revenue, including prospecting and acquisition.
- Develop new business strategies, conduct market analysis, and develop improved methods for selling Bird Rescue services.
- Ongoing client relationship management in every stage of the client lifecycle, to ensure that Bird Rescue remains a partner of choice.
- Provide input to management to respond to changing market conditions, to improve internal efficiency and maximize results.
- Help define rate structure for all organization products.
- Solicit customer feedback and make internal recommendations to adapt our offerings.
- Prepare client quotations and presentation of proposals.
- Maintain client records in organizational CRM.
- Create and manage an annual budget, complete with measurable goals and timelines.
- Leverage the Board of Directors in business development efforts.
- Become an expert on Bird Rescue programs and share the impact of our work with partners in authentic and compelling ways.
- Ability to travel as needed, when safety precautions allow.
- 7+ years of business development experience, with a proven track record of closing deals and reaching revenue targets.
- Experience in the energy sector or environmental consulting is required.
- Experience with government and industry bidding and RFP processes.
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills geared toward diverse audiences including corporate clients and multilateral partners.
- Marketing experience is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of environmental and wildlife issues, particularly in relation to ocean health and oiled wildlife is highly desirable.
- A passion for our mission and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Bachelor’s required, MBA a bonus.
Flexible, with occasional visits to our wildlife centers in Northern and Southern California
Compensation and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and the potential for commissions, as well as flexible work hours, collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation and other benefits. The position is open immediately.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “BD&P Manager” AND YOUR NAME in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants only. Principals only. No phone calls, please!
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.
For more information, please visit:
- International Bird Rescue’s website
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Follow us on Twitter: @IntBirdRescue
- Follow us on Instagram: IntBirdRescue
- Follow us on YouTube: SavingSeabirds