Job: Director of Development and Partnerships
San Francisco Bay Area, California
About the Position
Bird Rescue is seeking an experienced Director of Development & Partnerships for a well-established and evolving nonprofit in the animal welfare/environmental sector. As the organization aims toward a path of sustainability and growth, the incumbent will work in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Leadership Team, and Board of Directors to increase and mobilize resources to support our local and global programs. They will create and execute an annual development strategy with a goal of ~$2.5M to increase support from individual donors, corporate partners, and foundations while also identifying opportunities for growth. They bring vision and a willingness to break out of traditional channels of fundraising.
For more than 52 years, International Bird Rescue’s model has relied on the generosity of donors and the influx of funding received during wildlife crisis events to sustain the organization. As Bird Rescue grows to expand service areas and the ability to care for more birds in need, plans are being put in place to create a more sustainable funding model. This sustainability will be achieved in part by diversifying our revenue stream to include additional fundraising events, private foundations, new corporate and wildlife responsibility partners, and an increase in the number of our individual donors. Expanding the fundraising plan and goals will allow Bird Rescue to refill the emergency response reserve on a regular basis and help build capacity to respond to any new crisis that strikes.
The successful candidate will be a collaborative self-starter, focused on teamwork, and committed to serving as a key proponent of our mission. The incumbent will establish and maintain an inclusive working environment with diverse staff, be energized and resourceful, and interact with team members, donors, and supporters with warmth and integrity. The Director of Development & Partnerships will supervise a grants consultant, Development Manager for Southern California, and Development Coordinator, and will have the opportunity to build the team further to meet the long-term strategy.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and diversified strategy to sustain and grow the revenue base of Bird Rescue, including major gifts, institutional and corporate giving, annual giving, planned giving, and special events
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit top-level gifts in collaboration with the CEO, Board of Directors, and senior staff
- Help build a team of motivated, inspired staff to fulfill organizational goals, including contractors
- Develop and manage an annual budget, complete with measurable goals and timelines
- Lead and engage the advancement committee and Board of Directors in fundraising efforts
- Become an expert on Bird Rescue programs and share the impact of our work with donors in authentic and compelling ways
- Manage donor data to track performance, giving trends, identify new opportunities for revenue and drive efficiencies
Specific Experience Desired
- 8+ years of fundraising experience, with a proven track record of closing gifts and reaching revenue targets of $2M+
- Strong knowledge of special event best practices
- Experience with corporate social responsibility programs and social enterprise models for nonprofits
- Insights and expertise on the philanthropic landscape in the West Coast (Bay Area and Greater Los Angeles)
- Knowledge of environmental and wildlife issues, particularly in relation to ocean health
- Experience with capital campaigns is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university; Master’s degree a plus
Specific Skills Desired
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills geared toward diverse audiences including corporate clients, foundation and individual donors
- Strong writing skills
- Solid experience and disciplined approach to donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce
- A passion for our mission and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Team player who enjoys supporting and collaborating with colleagues
- Risk-tolerant critical thinker
Flexible, with biweekly visits to our wildlife centers in Fairfield and/or San Pedro
Compensation and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive salary in the range of $75-95k commensurate with experience, flexible work hours, collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation, health insurance, retirement plan with match, and other benefits. The position is open immediately.
About International Bird Rescue – www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971 after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis. Our key programs include avian rehabilitation and research; wildlife emergency preparedness and response; and conservation, education, and community engagement.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “DoDP” AND YOUR NAME in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants only. Principals only. No phone calls, please!
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.