About International Bird Rescue — www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971 after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis.
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and in partnership with the Director of Operations, the Finance and Administration Manager is expected to drive best practices in finance, administration and human resources management within the organization to maximize efficiency and impact. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Handle the audit and manage financial reporting, budgets, accounts payable and receivable, sales tax considerations, outsourced general ledger and payroll.
- Review and manage insurance coverages, legal compliance, and other related considerations.
- Develop, improve and document administrative procedures.
- Prepare and proofread contractual agreements.
Human Resources Management
- Manage payroll processing.
- Further develop Bird Rescue’s human resources, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, and performance evaluation.
- In collaboration with other members of the team, establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Develop and manage human resources procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a rising leader with five to seven years of recent finance and administration experience. They will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs.
Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree.
- At least five to seven years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial, human resources, and administrative experience.
- Technology savvy; knowledge of accounting and reporting software. QuickBooks, Excel, GoogleSuite, and related software are required.
- Commitment to best practices in human resources activities.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A self-starter with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Bird Rescue.
This is an exempt salaried position and could involve full-time or 3/4-time work depending on the candidate’s experience and efficiency in these areas. The workplace would be a combination of at-home and on-site principally at the Fairfield facility, with occasional visits to our wildlife centers in Southern California and Alaska. Compensation is competitive.
To Apply: send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit: