Job: Major Gifts Officer
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Greater Los Angeles (San Pedro), California
About the Position
Bird Rescue is seeking a Major Gifts Officer for a well-established and evolving nonprofit in the animal welfare/environmental sector.
This position will report directly to the Director of Philanthropy, and will be based in the Los Angeles area. The Major Gifts Officer will work to increase support for the organization by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors at the $1,000+ level, with a particular focus on donors at the $2,500 to $5,000 level. Under the direction of the Director of Philanthropy, this position will work to identify planned giving prospects, and is responsible for executing donor cultivation events in the Greater Los Angeles area. This position will work closely with Bird Rescue’s Grants Coordinator to steward institutional funders in Southern California.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit donors at the $1,000+ level, with a particular focus on donors at the $2,500 to $5,000 level in the Greater Los Angeles area.
- Develop individual stewardship plans for donors with an identified giving capacity of $1000 or more per year.
- Steward existing donors, and acquire new donors at the $1000+ level
- Achieve targets for increased donor participation, total contributions, and stewardship actions within a defined portfolio of donors.
- Conduct presentations about Bird Rescue to community groups and institutions.
- Design and implement planned giving program activities and small group cultivation events.
- Meet with donors in person and via phone to engage and secure support.
- Collaborate with Grants Coordinator to ensure seamless stewardship of institutional funders.
- Support the CEO and the Director of Philanthropy in tracking and measuring major gift efforts and outcomes.
- Represent Bird Rescue at cultivation events and community gatherings.
- Collaborate with the Philanthropy team as needed on special events, sponsorship requests, and donor stewardship.
- 3 to 5 years of fundraising experience, with experience in direct solicitation of gifts of $1000+
- Strong communication and relationship building skills required
- Knowledge of best practices in leadership giving
- Knowledge of best practices in fundraising
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, using sound judgment and decision making
- Commitment to environmental and wildlife issues, and the ability to speak compellingly about those issues to donors
- Bachelor’s Degree
Hybrid position, with regular visits to our wildlife center in San Pedro
Compensation and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive salary in the ranger of $50-$70k commensurate with experience, flexible work hours, collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation, health insurance, retirement plan with match, and other benefits. The position is open immediately.
About International Bird Rescue – www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971 after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Major Gifts Officer” AND YOUR NAME in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants only. Principals only. No phone calls, please!
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.