Job: Volunteer, Education, and Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Wildlife Center Manager
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Location: Los Angeles Wildlife Center, San Pedro, CA
About International Bird Rescue – www.birdrescue.org
International Bird Rescue is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that specializes in the rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured, and contaminated aquatic birds. Our mission is to inspire people to act towards balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis. Between our two wildlife centers in San Pedro and Fairfield, CA, we treat approximately 4,000 patients per year. We are currently looking for someone to join our team as a full-time Volunteer, Education, and Outreach Coordinator at our San Pedro center to oversee our volunteer program and support community outreach activities.
About the Position
As the Volunteer, Education, and Outreach Coordinator, you are responsible for recruitment, training, and coordination of volunteers and interns at our San Pedro wildlife rehabilitation center, supporting community outreach, local public relations, fundraising activities for the center in that region, and providing basic administrative support to the center.
- Support a unique and dynamic non-profit organization.
- Develop, maintain, and promote a healthy, supportive, and rewarding volunteer and intern program, which continually attracts and retains volunteers and interns.
- Develop and maintain an engaging outreach program that promotes wildlife education and support for aquatic bird rehabilitation.
- Work closely with a diverse clinic staff and volunteer force within a busy wildlife hospital and build bridges of communication that support an effective and positive work environment.
- Be part of a diverse and fun team of people who care about birds and the natural world.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a diverse population.
- Excellent and professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multitask, remain organized, take initiative, and work with minimum supervision.
- Strong computer skills in general, proficient or advanced skills with Microsoft Office and Google Suite, and comfortable learning new software (Basecamp, Box, Blackbaud, RE:NXT, etc.).
- Comfort with, or willingness to learn, Volgistics and/or similar CRM programs.
- Ability to plan, organize, and attend outreach events in target area(s).
- Ability to create community collaborations and organize programs with multiple organizations.
- Good customer service or community outreach skills with the ability to interact with the public courteously and offer proper attention at all times in a welcoming manner.
- Comfort with, or willingness to learn, public speaking, teaching, training, and presenting.
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly under emergency and stressful situations.
- Willingness to work flexible hours during emergency response situations, such as oil spills, including overtime, weekends, and holidays.
- Interest in wildlife, the natural world, and the environment, a plus.
- Previous experience working with and/or managing volunteers.
- Previous experience working in the nonprofit sector or animal care facility, a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone, and other office equipment as needed to perform duties, as well as working with and interacting with volunteers and staff within our wildlife hospital.
- Contact with the public in work environments may risk exposure to contagious diseases, or contact with wild birds.
- Must have a reliable means of transportation and be willing to travel as required.
- Must be able to work in challenging and changing environments indoors, outdoors, and in field situations.
In the event of an oil spill, the Volunteer, Education, and Outreach Coordinator may be asked to take on oil spill related duties outside of general office business, including travel.
This is a position in an animal care facility. While performing some duties of this position the employee may be exposed to odors, noise, and in the vicinity of a variety of wild birds and hazardous material (such as petroleum products during an oil spill).
This position is on-site at our San Pedro wildlife center, but has some flexibility for telecommuting during the COVID-19 pandemic. This position will be fully on-site once health authorities no longer recommend telecommuting due to the pandemic.
Compensation, Benefits, and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, flexible work hours, a collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation, health insurance, and other benefits. The position is open immediately.
Please submit all resumes and cover letters via Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/volunteer-education-and-outreach-coordinator-41f0e4679eff8828
Please DO NOT call the clinic in reference to this job.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, due to the high number of applicants, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please visit our website for more information on this position: www.birdrescue.org