Community effort saves wild goose in Los Angeles

A young female Canada goose will be released today that was found injured with monofilament fishing line wrapped tightly around her leg – yet another casualty of careless fishing activity.

Her rescuer, Tony Taylor, had watched the goose over a number of weeks until finally, he and Officer Greg Randall from Los Angeles City Animal Services, were able to capture the large skittish bird. She was taken to International Bird Rescue Research Center (IBRRC) in San Pedro where her immediate prognosis was not good.

Although the fishing line had begun to cut off circulation and infection had set in on her left leg (see photo, click over for larger image), the veterinary team was able to pull her through with extensive treatment. She is now ready to return to the wild and rejoin with her flock. Her release is scheduled for Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM.

We’d like to emphasize that this was a tremendous community effort – a networking of numerous individuals and agencies from the concerned citizen, Tony Taylor, whose persistence to find help for this poor bird led him to Los Angeles City Councilmember Tom LaBonge who helped draw attention to the plight of this injured animal, to Greg Randall, the Wildlife Officer for Los Angeles City Animal Services.

Also involved were wildlife capture specialists from WildRescue who advised on potentially successful techniques.

3 thoughts on “Community effort saves wild goose in Los Angeles”

  1. Great news on a happy ending!!!!!

    Gotta say tho’, the council office had little to nothing to do with the rescue of the goose. It was Tony, Park Rangers, and Greg Randall. Credit where it is truly due, please.

  2. Hello Anonymous – The press release was written from interviews with those involved – please call me directly to discuss your request so we may make the corrections needed – thank you. Rebecca 831-869-6241

  3. It was really all Tony Taylor, Greg Randall was there for support and assistance but Tony caught the bird as it tried to fly away with the fishing line on it.Wild Rescue was not on scene for the capture not the return of the house to her family. The IBRRC did all the Rehab.

Comments are closed.